Friday, September 27, 2013

Old House...."Great Bones"

New life for an old house...
I love an old house..no matter what shape it is in, I just dwell on the good because the bad can be repaired.
Remember my client  that wanted his condo to feel like a cottage..a new york apartment and a boat?   I I even surprised myself on that one...I accomplished it because going into things with an open mind...make them possible.
Well ,he  just bought this house in downtown  Savannah  Ga. and he wants to fix it up.  He has the right attitude and the funds to repair it.( very important things when you tackle an old house.)
This was my first peek at it yesterday and so I am only in the pondering stages. It has great things like a nice yard and a corner lot . I love the little back porch and all the original windows.
Some nutty things have been done to the house but the old heart pine floors are in wonderful shape. The interior transoms over the doors have been covered with plywood and that will make a huge difference when they are exposed again.
Some improvements have been made but the roof fell in and there is  a mess in the attic.
New roof ..first... then........then.. then...
We will share the progress ...
 he







10 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Yes! Can't wait to see more. She will be stunning.

Sue
xo

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

wow. what a gorgeous old home that just needs some TLC. I can't wait to see it go thru a transformation!

crisdsanchez said...

I love it! I can hardly wait to see how you work your magic on it.

Donna-Leigh said...

I have unlimited faith in your taste and expertise! Make it wonderful!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Great bones, can't wait to see what you do it her

Unknown said...

Only an open mind can make things possible; great mindset there, Jane! First things first. A sturdy roof over your head should be prioritized, then all needed repairs should follow. It's much easier to work inside knowing that you are protected, come what may. Good luck reviving this old house!

-Allyson Duguay @ AffordableRoofingFlorida

gmf1673 said...

is this the Sears Kit house that has the side windows on upside down?

Kayakbanker said...

Jane this look so exciting! Savannah here you come~

Unknown said...

Shows a lot of promise! Though that fence should probably go. And the roof would need a lot of attention, as with renovating classic houses. Can’t wait to see how you work your way around this project! Cheers!

Allyson

Unknown said...

I've always thought that the classic houses are the ones worth saving. While I wouldn't mind modernizing some things (the plumbing, for instance), I tend to keep the whole thing looking like it was before, unless I can't find the same material as was used when it was originally built. And the whole thing standing out from your neighbor's modern house adds charm and prestige to the whole thing.

Isaac